Clinical Practice Points
- •Sinusoidal obstruction syndrome (SOS) is a life-threatening complication of oxaliplatin-based chemotherapy.
- •Nodular regenerative hyperplasia can be associated at a late stage of SOS, and should be suspected in case of signs of portal hypertension such as thrombocytopenia or splenomegaly.
- •To our knowledge, this is the first report of SOS occurring after oxaliplatin hepatic arterial infusion (HAI).
- •We report a case of a 43-year-old man, with colorectal liver metastases with SOS associated with nodular regenerative hyperplasia, diagnosed after 28 cycles of oxaliplatin-based HAI, treated with defibrotide but with a fatal outcome.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Severe hepatic sinusoidal obstruction associated with oxaliplatin-based chemotherapy in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer.Ann Oncol. 2004; 15: 460-466
- Sinusoidal obstruction syndrome and nodular regenerative hyperplasia are frequent oxaliplatin-associated liver lesions and partially prevented by bevacizumab in patients with hepatic colorectal metastasis.Histopathology. 2010; 56: 430-439
- Toxic injury to hepatic sinusoids: sinusoidal obstruction syndrome (veno-occlusive disease).Semin Liver Dis. 2002; 22: 27-42
- Porto-sinusoidal vascular disease associated to oxaliplatin: an entity to think about it.Cells. 2019; 8: 1506
- Sinusoidal obstruction syndrome.Clin Res Hepatol Gastroenterol. 2020; 44: 480-485
- Oxaliplatin-based chemotherapy induces extravasated platelet aggregation in the liver.Mol Clin Oncol. 2015; 3: 555-558
- Spleen volume as a predictive biomarker for thrombocytopenia and liver dysfunction after oxaliplatin-based chemotherapy.Anticancer Res. 2020; 40: 3361-3370
- Hepatic arterial infusion in the management of colorectal cancer liver metastasis: current and future perspectives.Dig Liver Dis. 2018; 50: 220-225
- Pharmacokinetic advantage of intra-arterial hepatic oxaliplatin administration: comparative results with cisplatin using a rabbit VX2 tumor model.Anticancer Drugs. 2004; 15: 647-650
- Defibrotide in hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: a multicenter survey study of the Spanish Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Group (GETH).Eur J Haematol. 2021; 106: 842-850https://doi.org/10.1111/ejh.13618
- Final results from a defibrotide treatment-IND study for patients with hepatic veno-occlusive disease/sinusoidal obstruction syndrome.Br J Haematol. 2018; 181: 816-827
- Hepatic arterial infusion chemotherapy for unresectable liver metastases of colorectal cancer: a multicenter retrospective study.Clin Colorectal Cancer. 2017; 16: 308-315
- Conversion to resection of liver metastases from colorectal cancer with hepatic artery infusion of combined chemotherapy and systemic cetuximab in multicenter trial OPTILIV.Ann Oncol. 2016; 27: 267-274
- Hepatic arterial oxaliplatin infusion plus intravenous chemotherapy in colorectal cancer with inoperable hepatic metastases: a trial of the gastrointestinal group of the Federation Nationale des Centres de Lutte Contre le Cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 4881-4887
- Sinusoidal obstruction syndrome impairs long-term outcome of colorectal liver metastases treated with resection after neoadjuvant chemotherapy.Ann Surg Oncol. 2011; 18: 421-430
- Nodular regenerative hyperplasia (NRH) complicating oxaliplatin chemotherapy in patients undergoing resection of colorectal liver metastases.Eur J Surg Oncol. 2014; 40: 1016-1020
- Oxaliplatin-based intra-arterial chemotherapy in colo-rectal cancer liver metastases: a review from pharmacology to clinical application.Cancers (Basel). 2019; 11: 141
- Systematic review of defibrotide studies in the treatment of veno-occlusive disease/sinusoidal obstruction syndrome (VOD/SOS).Bone Marrow Transplant. 2019; 54: 1951-1962
- Sinusoidal obstruction syndrome and postoperative complications resulting from preoperative chemotherapy for colorectal cancer liver metastasis.Anticancer Res. 2019; 39: 4549-4554
- The addition of bevacizumab to oxaliplatin-based chemotherapy: impact upon hepatic sinusoidal injury and thrombocytopenia.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2018; 110: 888-894