- •The oncologic outcomes are generally considered equivalent for both laparoscopic and open surgery.
- •However, some studies suggested a greater risk of postoperative peritoneal metastasis after laparoscopic than after open approach in patients with colon cancer.
- •This multicenter study included 17,323 patients with pathological stage I–III colon cancer to clarify the risk of peritoneal metastasis after the two approaches.
- •Multivariable analyses showed laparoscopic approach was a significant risk factor for peritoneal recurrence.
- •The finding above was confirmed by propensity score analyses.
- •This study demonstrated a significant increase in the risk of peritoneal recurrence after minimally invasive surgery.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Oncologic outcomes following laparoscopic versus open resection of pT4 colon cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Dis Colon Rectum. 2017; 60: 116-125
- Laparoscopic surgery for T4 colon cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Surg Endosc. 2017; 31: 4902-4912
- Laparoscopic resection of t4 colon cancers: is it feasible?.Dis Colon Rectum. 2015; 58: 25-31
- Survival outcomes following laparoscopic versus open D3 dissection for stage II or III colon cancer (JCOG0404): a phase 3, randomised controlled trial. The lancet.Gastroenterology & hepatology. 2017; 2: 261-268
- What is the effect of laparoscopic colectomy on pattern of colon cancer recurrence? A propensity score and competing risk analysis compared with open colectomy.Ann Surg Oncol. 2014; 21: 2627-2635
- Laparoscopic surgery for T4 colon cancer: a risk factor for peritoneal recurrences?.Surgery. 2020; 168: 119-124
- Prognosis of patients with peritoneal metastatic colorectal cancer given systemic therapy: an analysis of individual patient data from prospective randomised trials from the Analysis and Research in Cancers of the Digestive System (ARCAD) database.Lancet Oncol. 2016; 17: 1709-1719
- Japanese Society for Cancer of the Colon and Rectum (JSCCR) guidelines 2019 for the treatment of colorectal cancer.Int J Clin Oncol. 2020; 25: 1-42
- Mucinous and signet-ring cell colorectal cancers differ from classical adenocarcinomas in tumor biology and prognosis.Annals of surgery. 2013; 258: 775-783
- Alternative approaches for confounding adjustment in observational studies using weighting based on the propensity score: a primer for practitioners.BMJ (Clinical research ed.). 2019; 367: l5657
- Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE): explanation and elaboration.Epidemiology. 2007; 18: 805-835
- Survival and prognostic factors for metachronous peritoneal metastasis in patients with colon cancer.Ann Surg Oncol. 2017; 24: 1269-1280
- Development and validation of a prediction model for postoperative peritoneal metastasis after curative resection of colon cancer.Ann Surg Oncol. 2018; 25: 1366-1373
- HIPEC in T4a colon cancer: a defendable treatment to improve oncologic outcome?.Ann Oncol. 2012; 23: 3123-3129
- Prognostic impact of pT stage and peritoneal invasion in locally advanced colon cancer.Dis Colon Rectum. 2019; 62: 684-693
- General oncologic effects of the laparoscopic surgical approach. 1997 Frankfurt international meeting of animal laparoscopic researchers.Surg Endosc. 1998; 12: 1092-1095
- Humidified gas prevents hypothermia induced by laparoscopic insufflation: a randomized controlled study in a pig model.Surg Endosc. 1999; 13: 101-105
- Pneumoperitoneum and peritoneal surface changes: a review.Surg Endosc. 2004; 18: 1316-1322
- Peritoneal changes due to laparoscopic surgery.Surg Endosc. 2011; 25: 1-9
- The influence of pneumoperitoneum used in laparoscopic surgery on an intraabdominal tumor growth.Cancer. 1999; 86: 770-774
- Multicentre study of laparoscopic or open assessment of the peritoneal cancer index (BIG-RENAPE).Br J Surg. 2018; 105: 663-667
- Diagnostic Accuracy of CT for Local Staging of Colon Cancer: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2016; 207: 984-995
- MRI for local staging of colon cancer: can mri become the optimal staging modality for patients with colon cancer?.Dis Colon Rectum. 2017; 60: 385-392
- Diagnostic precision of CT in local staging of colon cancers: a meta-analysis.Clinical radiology. 2010; 65: 708-719
- Prognostic value of preoperative radiological staging assessed by computed tomography in patients with nonmetastatic colon cancer.Ann Oncol. 2012; 23:: 1198-1206
- Feasibility of preoperative chemotherapy for locally advanced, operable colon cancer: the pilot phase of a randomised controlled trial.The Lancet. Oncology. 2012; 13: 1152-1160
- Neoadjuvant chemotherapy in locally advanced colon cancer. A phase II trial.Acta oncologica (Stockholm, Sweden). 2015; 54: 1747-1753
- Laparoscopic colectomy for cancer: improved compliance with guidelines for chemotherapy and survival.Surgery. 2017; 161: 1633-1641
- Patterns of metachronous metastases after curative treatment of colorectal cancer.Cancer Epidemiol. 2014; 38: 448-454
- Patterns of recurrence after curative resection of carcinoma of the colon and rectum.Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1992; 174: 27-32
- Complete cytoreductive surgery plus intraperitoneal chemohyperthermia with oxaliplatin for peritoneal carcinomatosis of colorectal origin.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 681-685
- Adjuvant hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy in patients with locally advanced colon cancer (COLOPEC): a multicentre, open-label, randomised trial. The lancet.Gastroenterology & hepatology. 2019; 4: 761-770
- HIPECT4: multicentre, randomized clinical trial to evaluate safety and efficacy of Hyperthermic intra-peritoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) with Mitomycin C used during surgery for treatment of locally advanced colorectal carcinoma.BMC Cancer. 2018; 18: 183
- Metastatic colorectal cancer to the peritoneum: current treatment options.Curr Treat Options Oncol. 2018; 19: 49
- Diagnostic performance of imaging for the detection of peritoneal metastases: a meta-analysis.Eur Radiol. 2020; 30: 3101-3112
- Diagnostic accuracy of (18)F-FDG PET/CT for detection of peritoneal carcinomatosis; a systematic review and meta-analysis.Br J Radiol. 2018; 9120170519