Clinical Practice Points
- •Peritoneal mesothelioma is much rarer than its pleural counterpart; hence, there is a paucity of data to guide management, which usually follows guidelines available for pleural mesothelioma, despite reported molecular differences between the 2 anatomic sites.
- •A recent randomized clinical trial demonstrated better response rate, progression-free survival and overall survival with dual immunotherapy (ipilimumab and nivolumab) than with cytotoxic chemotherapy in pleural mesothelioma.
- •The clinical and radiological response observed with dual immunotherapy in a patient with peritoneal mesothelioma suggests that this a promising therapeutic approach.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- US mesothelioma patterns 1973-2002: indicators of change and insights into background rates.Eur J Cancer Prev. 2008; 17: 525-534
- Mesothelioma incidence in 50 states and the District of Columbia, United States, 2003-2008.Int J Occup Environ Health. 2013; 19: 1-10
- First-line nivolumab plus ipilimumab in unresectable malignant pleural mesothelioma (CheckMate 743): a multicentre, randomised, open-label, phase 3 trial.Lancet. 2021; 397: 375-386
- Nivolumab activity in advanced refractory malignant peritoneal mesothelioma.Eur J Cancer. 2021; 144: 386-388
- Nivolumab for malignant peritoneal mesothelioma.BMJ Case Rep. 2020; 13: e237721https://doi.org/10.1136/bcr-2020-237721
- Guidelines for pathologic diagnosis of malignant mesothelioma 2017 update of the consensus statement from the International Mesothelioma Interest Group.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2018; 142: 89-108
- BAP1 haploinsufficiency predicts a distinct immunogenic class of malignant peritoneal mesothelioma.Genome Med. 2019; 11: 8